See How We’ve Improved Homes in the Pittsburgh Area
CCI helps homeowners across Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, PA make their homes healthier, more comfortable, and more energy efficient. Our process with every home starts with an in-depth energy audit to assess the home’s performance. Then, we design a Sound Home Plan which outlines the most cost effective ways to improve energy efficiency and comfort. We connect our clients with trusted local contractors and perform follow-up inspections after all work is complete.
Become a part of the growing community of Pittsburghers who are having CCI conduct a home energy audit to find out how they can improve their indoor comfort and avoid energy waste! This past year, home improvements resulting from CCI’s Sound Home Plans brought about over 660 million BTUs in energy savings.
Lower Utility Costs, Greater Comfort & A Reduced Carbon Footprint
Before this homeowner retired and moved to Carnegie, she lived in an eco-friendly neighborhood in California where she enjoyed very low utility bills. So when she purchased her 1939-built home in Carnegie, she knew she wanted to make it as energy efficient as possible. With an energy audit and Sound Home Plan from CCI, this homeowner was able to control her utility costs, maintain home comfort in both winter and summer, and minimize her carbon footprint.
• Home in Carnegie, PA
• Built in 1939
• 1,300 square feet
Recommended upgrades from the Sound Home Plan
• Weatherstripping on front & side doors
• Caulking around baseboards & windows
• Air sealing along the attic floor
• Cellulose insulation along the attic floor
• Air sealing along the basement wall
• Dense packed cellulose insulation in sidewalls
• Recycling the basement refrigerator
Estimated savings and impact
• Energy reduction: 24%
• Air leakage reduction: 40%
• Carbon (CO2) savings: 2 tons
• Estimated savings: $308/year
“I needed to control utility costs while maintaining quality of life at home during the colder winters and hotter summers we have here. Ultimately, I wanted to regain the peace of mind I had out west from minimizing my carbon footprint. Thanks to CCI, I have succeeded on all three fronts.”
More Past Projects
Fluctuating Temperatures, Poor Insulation & Air Leaks
Soon after these homeowners moved into their home, they noticed that indoor temperatures varied significantly from room to room, especially in hot and cold weather. They could also tell that their home was wasting energy. Being environmental champions and wanting to reduce their reliance on fossil fuels, they scheduled an energy audit with CCI.
Our energy audit uncovered several issues:
- Air leaks throughout the basement and attic (see basement image)
- Inadequate insulation along the attic floor and slopes (see attic & infrared image)
- Lack of insulation around the attic pull-down staircase
- Air leakage around recessed lighting and exhaust fans (see infrared image)
- Inefficient lighting throughout the house
After the audit, we outlined recommendations in a Sound Home Plan which together would offer an estimated energy savings of $718 per year and cut CO2 emissions by 4 tons annually. By completing the recommended work, these homeowners were also able to achieve the indoor comfort and energy savings they were looking for.
“This winter we noticed considerable improvement in the way the house dealt with very cold days.”
Comfort & Efficiency Issues in a Home with Solar Panels
This Pittsburgh homeowner already had solar panels installed on their roof but wanted to maximize their solar investment by making their home as energy efficient as possible. Moreover, the house had some obvious comfort issues. By scheduling an energy audit with CCI, they were able to find solutions that would accomplish their goals.
Recommended home upgrades included:
- Adding blown cellulose insulation to the attic floor, but preserving storage space as requested by the homeowner (see updated attic photo)
- Insulating the attic knee walls with dense packed cellulose & enclosing them with purple rigid foam board for air sealing (see knee wall images)
- Insulating between ceiling beams in the coal cellar room
- Air sealing around all plumbing and wire penetrations
- Insulating exterior walls with dense-packed cellulose
- Insulating the garage ceiling with dense-packed cellulose to improve comfort in the room above
- Air sealing ductwork with mastic sealant
- Air sealing around the perimeter of the coal cellar room (pictured last)
After the recommended work outlined in their Sound Home Plan was complete, this home earned a perfect 10 on the Home Energy Score scale and saw an energy use reduction of 36%.
Leaking Heat in a Victorian Era Home
These homeowners knew their Victorian house needed energy efficiency upgrades because it leaked heat in the winter, leaving them with high heating bills. Their CCI energy audit pinpointed a number of issues, including extensive air leakage, under-insulated basement rim joists (the outside edges of the home’s flooring framing system), and missing insulation below a bathroom bay window floor.
Recommended solutions in these homeowners’ Sound Home Plan included:
- Sealing unused fireplaces with rigid foam board & caulking
- Applying spray foam to the basement rim joists
- Air sealing along the basement ceiling
- Installing a removable glass insert in a bathroom window
- Insulating boiler pipes in the basement
- Insulating the bathroom bay window floor with cellulose
- Adding a door sweep to the front door
- Installing foam gaskets on all outlets & switches
- Replacing inefficient light bulbs with LED bulbs
Together, these upgrades generate an estimated energy savings of $760 per year!
A Historic Stone House with Winter Comfort Issues
These Pittsburgh homeowners lived in their 1932 stone house for several years before they got in touch with the team at CCI. While their beautiful home had many of the charms of old construction, it also had problems like a settling foundation and a lack of insulation in important areas. Many parts of their home were uncomfortably cold in the winter — so cold, in fact, that they considered getting a heated mattress pad for their bedroom!
After the audit, we outlined recommendations in a Sound Home Plan which together would offer an estimated energy savings of $804 per year and cut CO2 emissions by 4 tons annually. Air sealing & insulating the upper attic with cellulose.
- Air sealing & insulating the upper attic with cellulose
- Dense packing the attic slopes with cellulose
- Air sealing & insulating the knee walls in the attic
- Insulating & adding weatherstripping to knee wall accesses
- Insulating garage exterior walls with foam board & spray foam
- Air sealing & insulating the garage ceiling to make the room above more comfortable
- Air sealing & insulating along the basement ceiling
- Installing weather strips & sweeps on exterior doors
After the audit, we outlined recommendations in a Sound Home Plan which together would offer an estimated energy savings of $804 per year and cut CO2 emissions by 4 tons annually. By completing the recommended work, these homeowners were able to achieve the indoor comfort and energy and carbon emissions savings they were looking for.
“[CCI’s] employees and Sound Home Plan contractors were pleasant to work with and completely trustworthy. I highly recommend this company!”